Friday, June 27, 2008

Baking Fresh Homemade Bread

This is how I first learned to make bread

Mix
Knead
Let it Rise in a Bowl
Punch it down
Knead again
Shape into loaves
Put in a pan
Bake

I started experimenting and got varying results. Then someone gave me a bread maker. I didn't want to use it at first. I don't really like machines. But I tried it. Didn't like the end result. Didn't like the shape or the hole in the bottom that the paddle made.

I did discover though that it's a great time saver if I use it to mix & knead the dough in the first cycle. After that I take it out and put it in a bread pan. I let it rise then bake. Yep, just 1 rise. Comes out great every time.

I'm glad, though, that I know how to make bread the old fashioned way. You know, just in case. Now, I need to learn to bake in an outdoor oven.

Oh, Cletus, honey! Would you build me an out door oven?

No comments: